Saturday, February 11, 2012

FREE! DAZ Studio Pro, Bryce Pro, & Hexagon!

"Borgimi Village", created with Bryce 7. © 2011 Brianna da Silva

Are you interested in getting started with 3D art? Well, I'm excited to share the news that DAZ 3D is offering three of its programs -- DAZ Studio Pro, Bryce Pro, and Hexagon -- for free!


I don't know about you, but at first I found this a little suspicious, and suspected there were some sort of strings attached. But I went ahead and downloaded Bryce Pro and Hexagon, and wallah... it really is just free software, no hooks. (With the exception of a small sort-of-hook, which I explain below.)

This is over $800 worth of software for nada. For a limited time, of course.

So, what are these programs, you may ask? In a nutshell:

DAZ Studio Pro: 3D art and animation 
**Personal notes: Beware, there is a catch with this program. From what I can tell, this program predominantly uses prebuilt DAZ models, which you have to buy. And also, a word of caution: The human models for this program start off nude, and it's rather graphic. I haven't actually used DAZ Studio, so I could be a little mistaken about how it works. For now I'm just toying with Hexagon (see below), in the hope that I can create my own models that are neither graphic nor costly. But... the benefit of DAZ Studio is that it's easy and fast, for those who'd rather buy models than make them on their own!

Bryce Pro: 3D landscape and animation
Personal notes: I strongly recommend this software; it's not very user friendly for those that are new to 3D -- personal experience! -- but once you get the hang of it, it enables you to make some pretty cool art! And that's especially awesome when it's free!

Hexagon: 3D modeling 
Personal notes: As I said above... I'm drawn to Hexagon because it appears that, so far, I can create my own models without using DAZ Studio's graphic/costly ones. I still haven't actually gotten to the stage of making models, though! :-)

If you want some links to get you started with these programs, check out my Learn more page, where I have links to some other tutorials and resources I recommend.

Also, you can check out these forums from Daz3d.com:

Hexagon tutorial links
Bryce tutorial links

Happy 3D-making! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment