Saturday, January 19, 2013

Illustrated Movie Poster


Here's another project I did at Full Sail.  I had to recreate this Wall-E movie poster in Adobe Illustrator... but there was a catch!  We could use nothing but the basic, somewhat cartoon-looking pen tool (see my previous tutorial on how to use it), and we were limited to a five-color color scheme (plus white).  The result was an image that was relatively close to the original poster, but stylized.

The original poster (left) next to my recreation again (right).
 

As you can see in the wireframe view below, everything in my Wall-E recreation was just plain shapes. (No gradients, meshes, blends, opacities, etc.)


I tried to give the illusion of the junk around Wall-E by making lots and lots of strange shapes (which took far more hours than I care to think about!).  I used shapes I saw in the original poster as a guide.  However, my professor thought all the shapes in the junkyard were too "busy" (a.k.a. messy, cluttered), and they took away from Wall-E, who should have be been the main focus.  What do you think?

Zoom in to the junk around Wall-E

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Steve! Thank you for the invite! I am following now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see talent...and lots of it.
    I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it. I’m your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Covnitkepr1! Thank you so much for the invite and for becoming a follower! It looks like you've got a good blog going... I'll be sure to follow it! :)

      Blessings,
      Brianna

      Delete