Monday, October 22, 2012

Graphic Design Nails

Frequently, a well-executed design stands out to me. A couple weeks ago, I was especially struck by the cover design for David Platt's book, Radical.


The powerful simplicity of the overall design and the irresistible, bold colors inspired me to do something a little "radical" myself... to paint my nails according to the book's design! And so, I'm doing something a bit unconventional for this blog, by sharing with you how I turned a book design into a nail design.

Step 1: After applying a protective undercoat, (any clear nail polish works), I painted my nails a solid orange color.


Step 2: I painted a black band at the tips of my nails, resembling the band that runs across the top of the book cover.


Step 3: Using toothpicks to achieve the minor details, I added the shape of the upside-down house in white, then applied an orange dot and orange line to represent the window and door.


Finally, I added another layer of clear nail polish as a protective topcoat, giving my nails that glossy, shimmering look.

And that's it! Here's the final result:


A closer view of the nails:


Is there a book cover design that you really like? Comment below!

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Did it take a long time to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It took a relatively long time... several hours with drying time, largely because I kept messing it up and had to start some parts over. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I just checked out your blog... I'll be following it now! Thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool thanks! Clever blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete